Notes on the iPoIDE DVD
For PC users:
- When launching R on DVD, you may see a warnining about 'timed out waiting for prompt.' If you wait, R will eventually start up.
- The cua-mode is enabled by default to allow windows style copy and paste keys. This interferes with ESS. Issue the command M-x cua-mode to toggle this off.
- Help in R does not come up reliably on Windows.
- Copying the whole DVD to a hard drive on a PC has not been solved (appears to be an issue with symbolic links and security settings on some PCs -- rsync may work. )
Use a Mac or Linux to copy to USB media.
The Verbatim DVD included in the distribution envelope is a live dvd
that will run your statistical and working environment on any PC, with
basic features on Mac. On a pc, Emacs/bin/runemacs.exe will autolaunch
after a minute or so. On a Mac, double-click the Emacs icon. For
details see the tutorial.
To run with full features on a Mac:
The resulting iPoIDE directory will work on any computer,
can be copied to portable media, or burned to a DVD.
- copy the iPoIDE.zip file from the Memorex dvd to you home directory
- copy the iPoIDEpat.zip archive from the Magnavox CD to the same directory
- unzip iPoIDE.zip first, then iPoIDEpat.zip, overwriting files if
- The files in bin/ppc-darwin should be in bin/powerpc-darwin. I place a new configuration file here tonight that addresses the problem, or you can use zip or rsync to move the files.
While the system created by the above steps will work on all platforms, the assembly process is only known to work on a Mac or Linux. Help solving this problem is welcome.
Bugs and to do: